“Combining creativity and community” is the motto of the Grosse Pointe Artists Association, and it drives everything the Association undertakes from arts programming to lectures and exhibitions.
The Association’s recent juried art exhibitions have asked artists to explore issues important to themselves and their communities like immigration and mental health.
Its schedule of art classes offers students the opportunity to work and learn with exceptional local artists, some with national and international followings. The teachers are selected for their willingness to share their personal experiences and ongoing searches for new processes and techniques.
Artists, art historians and community activists celebrate the old and new in Detroit-area neighborhoods for the Association’s annual winter lecture series, Your Old Mansion.
All year long, the Association organizes and staffs artmaking programs (art therapy) for military veterans, students in area high schools and the elderly and their caregivers.
True to its mission, the Association is proactive in finding ways to partner with existing community groups on programs that leverage the power of art to solve problems, meet challenges and enrich lives and communities.
- CALL FOR ENTRIES: 7th Annual Promising Artists Exhibition; DEADLINE Monday, April 17
- Listen to the Music: A solo show by Susan Eatmon, March 13 – April 29
- An Exhibition: Work by 57 artists on the theme of GREEN. Open thru April 27.
- A Morning Out for the seniors in the community, their friends and family, 10:30 am – noon on the first and third Tuesdays of every month
- Artmaking for Veterans, 6 – 8 pm, the 2nd and 4th Tuesdays of each month.
- VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITIES: Share the rewards of bringing art to the community
- IMITATING THE MASTERS: Landscapes, Camille Pissarro, John Constable and Martin Johnson Heade
- Imitating portraits by the masters with Donald Cronkhite: John Philip Simpson, Johannes Vermeer, William Merritt Chase
- Woodblock Workshop with Nobuko Yamasaki: Revisit your print — 10 am – 1 pm, Saturdays, April 22 and 29. Registration deadline April 12.
- Two-Day Workshop: Explorations in Abstraction Using Acrylics with Valerie Allen, 10 am – 4 pm, Friday and Saturday, May 12 and 13
Thank you to our supporters
Help Us Share The Art